New heritage fund open to applicants from Gisborne

Gisborne news
Monday, August 15, 2016

Heritage listed buildings in Gisborne will be able to apply for support for earthquake strengthening through the new Heritage Earthquake Upgrade Incentive Programme fund (EQUIP).

“This is a wonderful opportunity to safeguard some of the heritage buildings which give Gisborne so much character.” says Mrs Tolley.

“The contestable fund will be available for all privately-owned Category 1 Heritage New Zealand listed buildings across the country and for Category 2 listed heritage buildings in areas of high to medium seismic risk such as Gisborne.

“Applicants to the fund will need to look to match EQUIP funding with local Government, philanthropic, community and their own contributions”.

“In the next few months a comprehensive information package providing guidance to heritage building owners on how to manage strengthening projects will be developed by the Ministry for Culture & Heritage and Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

“This Government has taken a measured and targeted approach to earthquake strengthening through the Building (Earthquake-prone Buildings) Amendment Act passed earlier this year, and the Heritage EQUIP has been developed along similar lines.

“I encourage anyone who is interested to apply for this fund, so that we can protect our cherished heritage buildings. Gisborne has a rich history and we are very lucky to have places that allow us a glimpse into our past. We have seen first-hand the damage earthquakes can do and it is important that we do our best to preserve our most vulnerable heritage sites.” says Mrs Tolley.

An expert advisory panel will be set up to assess applications for EQUIP funding, which open next year.

More information is available on the MCH website: www.mch.govt.nz/heritageequip